Evaluating Your SituationEvaluating your situation is the first step toward helping yourself as a caregiver. You will be making many decisions and the tools on the following pages can help you become more aware of the issues you will have to address.
- What is the condition of the person you are taking care of? How well does the care receiver perform his/her Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs) ?
- What are his or her needs?
- How successful have you been in addressing those needs?
- In what areas do you need help?
- What outside assistance are you currently receiving?
- Do you know what is available?
- What is your condition as the caregiver?
- What help do you need?
It also helps to see the assessment information in writing.When you see a family member decline, it may be such a gradual process that you don't fully realize their level of need and how much responsibility you have taken on.